Big foot

Big foot
Still growing into those kickin' life in the ass boots!

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Finding Balance in Broken


This was written a while back, before we left for Montana, after I gave an opinion, which had been asked for, and then was gut punched with a, you-stupid-hateful-selfish-opinionated-drunken-bitch written response.
I was shocked, hurt and very, very angry and I don’t do angry often, or well. 
I don’t like being in that kind of place in my head so, to regain my balance, I wrote the following, because that’s just what I do. 
Even though the relationship will remain broken, my balance has been restored. 
That’s the best I can do. 

**** 

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it, or so the saying goes.

BUT, when do you not fix what’s broken, or what your perception of broken is, and just rejoice in its imperfection?

And, is there a difference between “broken” and “wrong”? 

Are they one and the same?

Is it wrong to be “broken” or broken to be “wrong”? 

Let’s throw in another confusing dimension, “normal”.

How simple life would be if there were steadfast, unquestionable definitions to these terms.

Alas, there is not. 

In fact, some are so threatened by the variety of definitions that this difference has been used to destroy relationships, spawn extreme hatred and even cause centuries of wars between peoples of every race and religion. 

How sad.

For instance, it’s “normal” for me to jump out of bed in the morning and be immediately ready to tackle the day full steam ahead. 

Not so much for my husband.

So am I “right” and he “wrong” or the other way around?  Am I “broken”, and he not, or the other way around? 

In this simplistic example the answer seems obvious doesn’t it?  To each his, or her, own!  Respect the differences of personalities and move on! 

But get into a highly personal difference of opinion and things get complicated don’t they?

What if my spiritual path is not aligned with yours?  Who is wrong, broken and misguided (and hence not normal?) and how far should one go to convince the other that they are on the path to righteousness, while the other is directly headed to eternal damnation?

What if you love watermelon and I hate it?  Is that a hell and damnation difference? 

Who gets to make that distinction? 

The person who grows, harvests and sells watermelon, who would be financially destroyed if it suddenly became “wrong” to like watermelon, or the person who has to be “right” about whether the taste, texture and overall benefits of eating watermelon is “right” for everyone?

Yee gads!

If opinions are honestly asked for, and honestly given, is it reasonable for those who asked for the opinion to come flying out of their perspective corner throwing punches if the opinion given doesn’t align with theirs? 

Do the labels “broken”, “wrong” and “normal” become more meaningful to one side than the other?

The devil’s in the details.

And the war rages on ….

No comments:

Post a Comment